Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Annual Girls Trip 2012

My Mom came out to visit me last week!  I had been counting own the days since she first bought her plane ticket, I was so excited!!  She flew in Thursday & I managed to get off work at 3pm so that I could spend the evening with her & Jeff (I normally close Thursday nights).  Jeff grilled us up some steaks from our local CSA & Mom put together salads.  I made a pear tart for dessert.  Everything was pretty tasty :)  Friday Mom & I drove out to Southport, NC.  I won a 2-night stay at the Hampton Inn there.  What a neat little town!  Friday we walked around the main street & went to a really nice wine tasting.  For NC wines, they were really good, not the normal muscadine grape varieties that I normally see.  We had a nice seafood dinner that night too.  Saturday we took the ferry over to Bald Head Island, which appeared to be a golfers paradise.  Lots of golf courses & no cars allowed on the island so everyone drives a golf cart!  Mom & I visited the oldest lighthouse in NC (Old Baldy) & then walked around the shops.  When we finished it was the afternoon & we had planned to chill out on the beach, when this real estate agent picked us up on the side of the road!  She insisted that we rent a golf cart & see more of the island.  So we did.  We spent a few hours touring the island, seeing the $15-million homes & beautiful beach areas.  I'm impressed with Bald Head Island, I think it's my next beach destination.  We did get some beach time in the evening before dinner, which was a great way to end our day walking & touring around.  Sunday we drove back to Chapel Hill, after touring the aquarium on Ft. Fisher & checking out Belamy Mansion in historic Wilmington.  Monday I took Mom to see Old Salem....only to find out that it's closed Mondays!!  So we couldn't see any of the museum or visitors center or artwork :(  Nor could we see the local people dressed up in their old timey clothes :((  But we did get to visit the bakery where they make Moravian Cookies (yum!) & we saw the outsides of all the buildings.  Mom said she really enjoyed it.  After touring Old Salem, we checked out the outlets & had fun picking out outfits for each other (although to be honest, I'm no good).  Mom left on Tuesday.  She dropped me off at work after we spent the morning getting pedicures, shopping at A Southern Season, & walking around the Botanical Gardens.  I hope Mom had a good time visiting & I, of course, already miss her!!











Side Note:  During all of this fun vacation girl time...Jeff got stung by a wasp.  When we returned, his leg had tripled in size & we were arguing about whether or not Jeff needed to see a doctor.  Thank god my Mom was here because on Tuesday she finally convinced him to go.  And it's a good thing because the doctor thinks he is highly allergic (I've been saying this for years) & now Jeff gets to join the group of people that have to have an epi-pen at all times on the their person.

I am back to work now & back to the hustle & bustle of life here in Ole NC.  But not for long.  Jeff & I leave for Orlando, FL in 2 weeks!!  That will be a well deserved week long vacation for both of us.  I'm so excited!!  And I'm still trolling for petty cash, if anybody would like to help us out ;)

Last night, I also got the scary news that my Grandmother is back in ICU.  She had back surgery while I was at the beach with my Mom & the doctors had to stop the surgery early because her hemoglobin levels were dropping.  She is resting now & the doctors expect her to leave the hospital on Saturday.  These 2 hospital episodes recently have really scared us, so please continue to keep her in your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment