Monday, January 16, 2012

Retreat

This past week has been a little hectic, frustrating, stressful, & entertaining.  On Wednesday, Jeff came home to inform me that 2 people would be staying with us for the week.  He stated this just as I was informing him that I wanted to have a double date with with his sister and soon to brother-in-law Friday night.  Aye!  So....Wednesday Jeff picked up our friend Daisy from the train station & I made coq-au-vin for dinner.  Ruhlman's version was much easier than Child's but I think I like Child's better. 

Thursday morning Jeff made us some protein shakes with stevia.  Really weird after taste.  We'll have to see if Stevia is any better in other recipes but at the moment, not a fan.  Thursday night Daisy took us out to dinner to Top of the Hill.  It was really funny because I asked for a low-carb menu & they gave me a menu that was literally crossed out items with a sharpie.  I ate some sweet potato fries, french onion soup, and a burger with no bun.  Pretty tasty & fulfilling meal. 

Friday morning we had pop tarts.  My latest free day craving ;)  Friday night we picked up a friend Jeff met in Italy from the bus station.  Isabella was so much fun to meet!  She brought me parmigian cheese from her home town of Parma!  She also invited us back to Italy to visit & have her show us her country.  I am making plans for this as we speak  :)  For dinner a whole bunch of scientists (and me) went out to Tylers for dinner.  Kimberly & Matt understandbly did not join the group of nerds.  lol.  I had my first beer in 3 months.  A german dunkel.  Ohhh soooo goood!  I also had a pork belly sandwhich...not my favorite.  And a whole bunch of fries and nachos. I also got Isabella to try the very southern Shrimp & Grits and she LOVED them!  

Saturday morning I made egg souffles that were amazing!  For dinner, I was at work & by myself so I had leftover chili.  Jeff & company left Saturday morning for their retreat.  Sunday I went shopping with Kimberly & a friend from Target, Karen.  We shopped for 5 hours between the mall & the outlets.  It was a lot of fun!  I really only needed pants & I found 3 pairs my size.  Yay!  I also got 3 new tops, a new belt that fits, and some leggings.  I wanted to get a new purse but couldn't find any that I liked.  Maybe I'll get lucky in AZ..... 

Jeff came home today with Daisy.  I made them a pot-au-feu for dinner.  This is poached beef tenderloin & it came out really good.  The meat is very tender & full of flavor from the cooked veggies & broth.  Apparently, according to Ruhlman, poaching should be reserved for tender meats like fish & beef.  You should not try to poach chicken.  Daisy leaves us tomorrow & we'll lose our hostessing mentality but it is probably for the best.  This week, I am at Target all week learning the cash office, which will be a change of scenery for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment