Sunday, May 2, 2010

Old School

So it has been a rough 2 weeks for teaching.  We have been doing this Science experiment involving stream tables and on Thursday of last week, it became abundantly clear that the kids could not draw conclusions and make connections between the 3 different experiments we had done in class.  I felt like a complete failure and I took my frustrations out on the kids.  I am trained for older kids and sometimes I bang my head against the wall with these 5th graders but it really isn't their fault.  So after that realization hit, I have been giving them pop quizzes, questions of the day, and tomorrow I am going to do all 3 experiments at the same time so they can see it again and hopefully be able to draw conclusions.  I honestly don't get it but I hope my efforts aren't in vain. 


But, I really love these kids and again it's going to be hard to leave them June 4th.  Like I tell Jeff I love them all individually but as a class they are little pains in the butt.  :)  So, about being tough with them I have instigated a new rule they get 1 verbal warning and the next time someone gets on my nerves they go to the office.  I told them I am not playing anymore!  Seems to work so far...We got to watch the IMAX Grand Canyon movie on Friday because they were able to behave this past week (they LOVED the movie). 


Those of you that I talk to regularly, know that I have been feeling pretty old lately.  These kids are so energetic, it takes a lot out of me to keep up with them.  On Monday I played with them for 2 hours on the kickball field.  I was exhausted when I got home!  They read the same books I read when I was their age (Even More Scary Stories, etc.).  They play the same games I played (Concentration, Scary Mary, etc.).  The icing on the cake was on Friday they asked me what the secret to Black Magic was.  Dear God, I haven't thought of that game in probably 15 years.  I told them I'd have to think really hard and get back to them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment