Night Trains: The first time we took a night train was on the way to Rome. We bought the cheapest seats (which we find a seat and hope no one has actually bought that seat). It was a 10 hour ride, Rome is only 4 hours away but night trains are slow so you can sleep. We found 2 seats together, I took a benedry and we were off. Not a few hours into the ride, Jeff was kicked out of his seat by someone with that seat number. So I was left alone with a bunch of strangers (the entire train was booked solid). I tried my best to sleep but I was so worried that every time the train stopped, I woke up hoping not to be kicked out of my seat. It was miserable. When we reached Rome, Jeff hadn't slept at all because he was forced to sit in the aisle of the train and I had the biggest knot in my neck that Jeff or I have ever encountered. We were miserable but determined to make the best out of our 1st day in Rome. The second time was last night from Naples. This was a 12 hour train ride and we chalked up the money to actually have beds. We bought the cheapest bunk bed type things, which we shared with 2 other people. The 2 other people being the most talkative and loudest Italians (which is saying something). I slept for a few hours but they kept me up most of the night. Jeff evidently slept really well. I think we will have to look more into buying our own sleeping compartment next time because feeling so tired is no fun for anyone.
Day 8: Pompeii
On Monday we traveled to Naples because their museums were open whereas Rome is closed on Mondays. We went and saw the Archaeology Museum that showcases the excavations from Pompeii. It was really nice and we had a good time. We also ate pizza at one of the top 3 places in Naples, it was very good. The key is the sauce. Italians use tomato pulp, not sauce or paste, in most things so we will have to do that for ourselves when we get home.
The real reason we went to Naples was because it is about 30 minutes from Pompeii. We stayed the night in Naples and then on Tuesday we traveled to Pompeii, along with every tourist in the 100 mile area. Pompeii was spectacular. There are very few words that I can use to describe it. It is just amazing, I mean you
feel like you are walking in a city, not a bunch of ruins. We saw the entire 44 hectares in the entire day we were there. We were exhausted afterwords but it was well worth it.

Evidently Pompeii has been a dog haven since it began. The above mosaic is a picture of dog with a "Beware of Dog" sign. The excavators have had a bunch of dogs with them at the excavations. These poor dogs are homeless and because of the love of the excavators, now have a foundation for adopting a dog from Pompeii. I really want to do this so any help convincing Jeff that it is a good idea will be very much appreciated. :)
This ends our Rome trip, next stop Vienna!
No comments:
Post a Comment