Monday, April 23, 2012

Changing Careers

I started tentatively along this track last year & a year later it appears to be where I am meant to be.  Last Spring, I was hired at Target as a sales floor team member (pretty bottom of the barrel position) but I had fun & semi-enjoyed the work & when school came back in August I made it clear that while I enjoyed Target, I could no longer work nights & I really couldn't support myself on the meesly pay.  So in September I was promoted to Pricing.  Barely a month after that, I was promoted to the supervisor's assistant position that I have been working.  And now, a year after starting at the bottom, I am looking at being promoted to a Supervisor position.  I will still be managing the front, so it is basically the same work I do today but a lot more responsibility.  I am excited.  Last week was a whirlwind of interviews (3 on one day & the District Manager on the next day).  But the District Manager said that I am going to be a Super Star & I have tentatively been offered the job.  The pay raise isn't as great as I had expected but it puts me right at the same pay as substituting so I am happy.  And hopefully I'll be promoted to the next level soon! 

In other news, I am preparing for the next big house project: cleaning out junk!  We are going to be looking at selling our place next year & we need to clean out!  We really don't want to get another semi to haul our stuff to our next home.  So next year, if you know anyone looking for a queen sized mattress, a tall dresser, a wide dresser, a bookshelf, patio furniture, TV stand, DVD shelf, & multiple cabinets....let me know! 

I have also been watching Once Upon a Time (as well as Game of Thrones).  If you aren't watching it on ABC, you should be!  I LOVE it & am truly addicted!  I am caught up on all the episodes so now I have to wait until Sunday to watch the next one :( 

Cooking: I have used my new dutch oven twice now.  Once for tortilla soup & last night for braising duck legs.  I am thinking I migh try to make lasagna in it this week....  I love it, it cooks so evenly.  It takes awhile to heat up oil but once it does, it cooks! Last night's duck legs were perfectly tender & flavorful & wonderful.  I have also made some very good no carb bread (finally got a good recipe!), as well as some cranberry bars for my coworkers that were amazing!  The bars weren't low carb so I didn't eat any but they were gone in minutes!  I also made some lemon creme sandwhich cookies for Jeff's work that he said were perfection.  That makes me feel good.  I haven't been baking since this diet & I miss the gratification of making something perfect :)  Tonight I am making a stir fry with beef flank & peppers.  It sounds good & I'm excited to cook it.

Saturday Jeff & I took Tammy to Occoneechee Mountain State Park for an extended hike before the rain.  It started thundering Saturday night & rained alllll day yesterday.  We attempted to go get free tickets to see Obama on Sunday (he's coming to UNC tomorrow) but with the rain & cold, we were unwilling to wait in line for hours for the MAYBE opportunity we would get tickets.  There were already at least 1,000 people in line in front of us.  I said not worth it! & we left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment