Dr. John Sabo visited UNC this week to give a seminar on his work at ASU. Believe it or not, there is another person in this world like Jeff. Dr. Sabo works with stream ecology and more specifically how insects are good indicators of how said environments are doing. 2 years ago, Jeff started reading Dr. Sabo's papers and every time Dr. Sabo published, Jeff would come home and say "Gosh darnit, he stole my idea again!" 2 years ago, Jeff asked how I would feel about moving to Tempe so he could work with Dr. Sabo. I said heck no! I really don't like the idea of living in the world's biggest SPRAWL city. Well, anyway, when I heard that Jeff had invited Dr. Sabo to come to UNC, I said well I have to meet this guy that steals Jeff's papers all the time! Last night, we went to Happy Hour with a whole bunch of science nerds, as Jeff does every Thursday for seminar speakers. I met Dr. Sabo and immediately started talking to him about his recent paper about the scientific methods behind Marc Reisner's Cadillac Desert (for all that don't know this was my thesis work at NAU). Dr. Sabo is a very nice man and he genuinely took an interest in my work and research with Cadillac Desert and water issues in the west. I was taken with him and obviously Jeff just thinks he is the best guy (even Jeff's advisor, Martin, said that Jeff was taken with Dr. Sabo). So I decided to join them for dinner. We went to Crooks Corner, a Southern institution on Franklin Street. They are famous for their shrimp and cheese grits. Anyway, talked some more and it became very clear that Dr. Sabo is taken with Jeff. At the end of the night, Dr. Sabo graciously asked that I forward my research onto him and that he would like to edit and help with my historical research. And he also pitched to Jeff to become on of his post-doctoral students.
All of this is written with the idea that we may move to Tempe. After meeting the man, I can't be the lynch pin keeping Jeff from working with such an intelligent guy. Jeff's research could really flourish under Dr. Sabo. However, I think I will make sure I go to NAU for my PhD in Environmental History. So family don't get your hopes up, I still have no want or intention to move back to AZ but it is more of a possibility now. Maybe we could live in Sedona............ Or maybe Dr. Sabo will move to a different university by the time Jeff finished his PhD work at UNC (a very likely possibility as Dr. Sabo has already moved to CA from AZ).
Tonight we have been invited to a Craft Party. I guess it is the new phase in parties. We are going to put together our seedlings for the garden and then leave. Lame but we partied hard last night and neither of us really want to do it again tonight. For the party, I am making lemon artichoke risotto. For us, I am making BBQ ribs.
No comments:
Post a Comment