Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Happy Birthday!

So today is my birthday and I have gotten a bunch of Happy Birthday messages and it makes me feel good :)  I am working today, however.  Like I said before Durham isn't on Spring Break right now and since last week I worked like 2 days, I needed to make up some money.  However, yesterday there were no jobs available and I'm not sure about tomorrow yet. 

Today I am an 8th Grade Social Studies Teacher at a Magnet Middle School.  Lord, I thought Magnet's were good but these kids are just a step above the kids I taught at the gangster school last time.  They will not stop talking, yelling, screaming.  They will not focus.  Schools don't generally leave me their discipline plans so my only course of action is tell them over and over again to shut up and focus.  If only, I was their regular teacher then you would be darn sure they would not act like this!

This last week, Friday Jeff's Mom and I went shopping.  My volunteer orientation at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences went really well.  I really clicked with my "boss" at the Naturalist Center.  He is the museum curator and I hope that he will get me into a job someday.  My other job is at the Living Conservatory.  This is a dry tropical forest environment so it is very humid.  I think it will be OK but not as fun as the Naturalist Center just because it is more rules due to the live animals and what-not.  Shopping with Jeff's Mom is always an adventure.  She really puts a new meaning on "shop til you drop."  I was exhausted when we finished.  The worst part is I didn't even buy anything because she puts a negative flair on everything I like or think I might buy.  It is really terrible.  I want to be girlfriends but I can't girl talk with her because before I know it I'm being chastised for something.  There were quite a few occasions where I was offended and wanted to say you know what, butt out!  After shopping, we went to Ruby Tuesday.  You know what, they have pretty good ribs there.  Who'd have thunk?  And best of all $3 pints of Red Oak, my favorite beer :)

Saturday we had chili at Jeff's folks.  Sunday we had fajitas.  Most of the weekend was spent gardening and watching movies.  Monday was leftovers and tonight to celebrate my birthday we are going to Kanki, a japanese restaurant.  There are going to be like 20 of our friends there so I am really excited!! 

The worst part of this week is the weather.  Apparently there is a huge storm coming our way so thunderstorms are scheduled for tomorrow and Thursday.  This weekend is supposed to be nice though.  So it appears that canoeing is out, which is a real bummer.  However, we might just go and visit Jeff's sister Kimberly on the coast and spend the rainy week in a hotel.  Something relaxing, I hope! 

No comments:

Post a Comment