What a day yesterday! We had signed up to volunteer at the Museum of Natural History months ago for their Marine Mammal Day. It was a bummer, though, because they put us at separate tables :( But I was at the museum's table and I got to talk to people about getting a job volunteering or working with them so that was really good. I still have yet to make a decision regarding the camp. I've decided to just call and try to work things out over the phone. After our shift at the museum, we went to the NC Art Museum which was recently renovated last year. I hadn't been since the renovation so we thought it would be fun. However, it was 3:30pm by the time we got there and they closed at 5 so we didn't actually get to see the new museum. Instead, we saw the special exhibit they were having about Norman Rockwell. It was pretty neat but very crowded. They had every single cover of the Saturday Evening Post from the early 1900s to the current century. After the museum, we went home to take the pooch for a short run and eat lefties. Then, Jeff took me to see Love and Other Drugs. Jeff thought it was really bad. It was long but I still enjoyed it. Then again, those of you that know me, know there are few movies that I don't enjoy. After the movie, we got a beer at one of our favorite places Spankys and then went to the best dessert place in the state Sugarland for cupcakes. Seriously, look up Sugarland they get a ton of awards every year. I had a raspberry cupcake with a ganache icing. It was pretty tasty. Jeff had Monkey Bites and it was pretty good too. But I enjoyed the filling in my cupcake, Jeff's didn't have any filling.
Today we are relaxing and doing house stuff. My goal is to get bills done and go shopping, and maybe Yoga too. Jeff has a meeting at 1pm on campus so that might give me enough time to do all that. All morning Tammy has been staring at me, I think she wants a walk, spoiled creature.
So every year I plan a gourmet dinner for Valentines Day (even though every year we end up getting into a fight, evidently I have no appreciation for Jeff's dorky gift ideas). This year I want to do a menu from Julia Child's cookbook since I have actually only made 1 recipe from her cookbook. I have been wanting to make Pot au Feu but then I decided that it wasn't very romantic being made up of basically a bunch of boiled meats so I tabled that recipe for another occasion. Then, I thought maybe a beef recipe. Well I went through a bunch of those before deciding on Tournedos Rossini, which is a fancy steak recipe with a truffle sauce. Truffle and foie gras sauce. Do you know what foie gras is? I was resigned to spending some money and ordering truffles on-line, since it is extremely hard to find. But I one had no idea what foie gras was and was getting frustrated not being able to find it so then I finally decided to order it on-line and I am explaining this to Jeff when he gives me this disgusted look. "Do you know what foie gras is? Geez, of course you can't find it anywhere, it's extremely unethical!" So, basically foie gras is made by literally stuffing a duck or goose with food until it's stomach is so full it is about to explode, then you eat it. The practice has been banned in some countries and a few states. So, needless to say that recipe was out. Now, I am resigned to do chicken. To me, chicken isn't gourmet but Jeff said everything in Julia Child's cookbook is going to be gourmet so I'll give it a try. I am making Coq au Vin, which sounds a lot to me like Cocovan, anybody have an idea as to if they are the same? It is chicken in a red wine sauce. I am going to serve it with Aigo Bouido (garlic soup) and maybe a cauliflower custard. And for dessert chocolate souffle. Sounds good, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment